Continuing my interest to find out more after watching “First Man” movie trailer, I moved on to Buzz Aldrin. In the Apollo 11 mission, he was the Lunar Module pilot and also the second man to walk on the Moon.
Here are 10 things I learned about about him.
1) His actual name is Edwin Eugene Aldrin Jr. Buzz is his nickname but it became his official first name in 1988. The nickname arose as a result of the younger of his two elder sisters mispronouncing “brother” as “buzzer”, which was shortened to Buzz.
2) He graduated top 3 from West Point Military Academy.
3) Aldrin set foot on the Moon exactly 9 minutes after Armstrong first touched the surface.
4) He was the first person to hold a religious ceremony on the Moon. This also made him the first person to consume liquid and food on the Moon.
5) He was also the first person to urinate while on the Moon.
6) Aldrin has voiced parody versions of himself The Simpsons episode “Deep Space Homer”.
7) Aldrin appeared as himself in the film Transformers: Dark of the Moon, where he explains to Optimus Prime and the Autobots that the Apollo 11 mission also discovered a Cybertronian ship on the Moon.
8) Aldrin also appeared as himself in the Big Bang Theory episode, “The Holographic Excitation”.
9) A supporter of manned mission to Mars , he came up with a special spacecraft trajectory to Mars which save time and propellant. It’s called the Aldrin cycler.
10) In 2016, he visited South Pole, this made him the oldest person to visit Antarctica. He was 86 years old then.
Source link : Wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzz_Aldrin